Frequently Asked Questions

What are the UK's reputable governing bodies for nutrition and dietetics?
The British Dietetic Association (BDA) and The Association for Nutrition (AFN) are the two main governing bodies for nutrition and dietetics.
Why is it important that my nutritionist is registered with a reputable governing body?
Dietitians are the only nutrition professionals to be regulated by law, and are governed by an ethical code to ensure that they always work to the highest standard. The title 'Nutritionist' is not protected by law, which means anyone can call themselves a nutritionist.

This doesn't necessarily mean that your practitioner isn't trained and qualified to issue nutrition advice. Membership of the BDA or the AFN guarantees that your nutritionist is trained and qualified to the highest standard.
Why isn't my nutrition practitioner listed?
Your nutritionist may be registered with different bodies such as the British Association for Nutritional Therapy (BANT), Federation of Nutritional Therapy Practitioners (FNTP) or Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC) which do not hold the same standards as the BDA or AFN. These bodies are mainly for those offering alternative treatments and practices.

If your practitioner isn't listed here, ask them about their professional membership status, and encourage them to join us.
What is the SEN Register?
The Sport and Exercise Nutrition Register is a list of specialist practitioners within the British Dietetic Association who focus on fuelling sport and exercise.

Still have questions?

Contact any of our members listed here, and they'll be happy to help.